Well, Virginia and the X Man got off fine yesterday. Their flight left at 1850 hours (6:50pm for all you civilians) out of Milan Malpensa. After a transfer in London Heathrow, they should be landing in Hong Kong in about an hour or so.
I now have about 6 weeks of “freedom” facing me. Although I will obviously miss the wife and kid, this is no time to sit around the house moping. You have to look at this as an opportunity to do some things that you might not do when the family is here. With that in mind, here are some things I plan on doing in the next 6 weeks:
• Visit at least 2 of the following: Paris, Edinburgh, London, Dublin, Rome, Amsterdam (Queen's Day baby!), Geneva, Belgium
• Do a pub crawl in Venice.
• Tour the Piedmont wine region and stock up on Barolo and Barbera D’Asti
• Watch at least 5 more films on the AFI Top 100
• Take at least 1 road trip
• Have a pint of REAL British ale somewhere in the UK.
• Climb Mt. Pasubio with Giampietro and Agnese (my upstairs neighbors)
• Lose 5 pounds (shouldn’t be hard without Virginia’s cooking)
• Water the plants every other day (Last time, the plants all died)
• Hook up with Ara and Peter for some vino when they come to Italy
Hopefully I can look back 6 weeks from now and not be disappointed. But time will tell. If there’s anyone in Europe reading this who wants to join me in my quest to accomplish any of these, you're more than welcome (and I promise not to get drunk and start any fights with Italians on Vespas...), so bring it on if you think you can hang.
But I’m warning you – you’d better bring your ‘A’ game…