Tuesday, August 09, 2005

What I'm listening to right now...




In the past day or two I've added two CDs to my collection that, while certainly eclectic, are both fantastic. The first is M.I.A.'s CD called "Arular". M.I.A. is a rather offbeat artist from the UK who is originally from Sri Lanka. Her music is hard to describe but it's sort of a mix of dance grooves, hip hop beats, samples and catchy rhymes and hooks. The best song is "Bucky Dun Gun". It really sticks in your head.

The second CD is Loretta Lynn's critically acclaimed "Van Lear Rose". what makes this CD different is that it was produced by Jack White of the White Stripes. I like the White Stripes' music and this CD comes across as kind of a honky-tonk-meets-White Stripes sort of sound. If you listen closely, the lyrics and some of the sounds will remind you of Johnny Cash. I think my favorite track so far is "Portland, Oregon", which Loretta Lynn and White team up for a duet. I wouldn't recommend either of these CDs to everyone as neither one would probably appeal to a real broad audience. So if you don't like them, don't say you weren't warned...


Rik

No comments: