Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Andiamo a Berlin!

Best match of the tournament last night. Italy goes into Dortmund where the Germans had never lost and wins the match literally 2 minutes before the final whistle. I went to the pub clad in my Italia jersey as I have for every match except this time I was surrounded by about 500 Germans all dressed in red, gold and black. It was a bit unnerving at times as I got plenty of dirty looks sent my way and feared for my life everytime I got up to go to the bathroom. But overall it was a great atmosphere, at times you couldn't even hear yourself think. However, when Grosso scored in 119th minute, the place got deathly quiet. I had to mute my celebration a bit but inside I was jumping up and down and screaming. After the match I got a celebratory call from Giampietro and Agnese to share in the excitement which made the moment even better. On the way home, as we got to the gate, a handful of drunk German hooligans spotted me and started cursing me and all things Italian in German. I just smiled and said "Ciao, Arrivederci!" as I went through my gate. It was fantastic.

So now it's on to Berlin for the final on Sunday against either France or Portugal. God I wish I was back in Italy...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ciao Rik,
It's nice to be the first one to blog about this... by the way, Iaquinta is from my little hometown in southern Italy and my granny knows his family well.
Italy misses you; we need you here to party...