Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Worst New Years...EVER.

A few days after Christmas, the wife got really sick with the flu. It was more of an intestinal bug than anything as there was no fever, just a lot of vomiting out of "both ends", if you know what I mean. It got so bad that we even had to call the doctor to be sure that we shouldn't worry about it having any negative effect on the baby. The doctor said nothing to worry about, as long as it doesn't last too long.

So we had plans to go out New Year's Eve, the plan was to meet up with a bunch of friends at the Dubliner around 9, hang out, then head to the old bridge to watch the fireworks. Needless to say, the X Man was very excited. The wife was getting better and was feeling well enough to go out so we were looking forward to a fun night. As luck would have it, she got hit with a bout of, erm...well...that is to say...ummm...how do I put this...well, let's just say that she had to go to the bathroom before we left. The X Man and I waited in the living room...and waited...and waited...and waited...eventually I took my coat off because I got hot...waited some more...

And then it happened.

Stomach pain. It came on slowly but surely, but enough so that by the time the wife got out of the bathroom, I told her that I was not feeling good and that we'd better not go. And sure enough, within an hour I was in bed, writhing in pain. I felt like one of the people in the movie "Alien" right before the parasitic creatures come bursting through their stomach. I spent all New Year's Eve and New Year's Day in bed with intense stomach pain, complete with the requisite vomiting and diarrhea.

Of course, the bright side is that I'm starting 2008 about 5 pounds lighter than I left 2007...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i cannot type how hard i am laughing.
LOL just doesn't do it justice.
AAHHHAAAHHAHHAAAA!

gino

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog and have enjoyed it THANKS!!!I relate to your life, well your wife's life. Filipina-American living in Italy. Plus I'm a RED SOX fan!!!Went to school in Boston. So happy 2008 to you and yours. Keep bloggin!!!

Rik said...

@Gino - So how are those Sixers doing?

@Anon - OMG, you need to email us! We NEED NEED NEED to hook up! We're going down to Italy in a couple weeks! Please email me at rikthib@gmail.com...maybe we can get together! You and the wife will have SO much to talk about!

ethib said...

Like I used to say when I was back in Africa...
"I'm jusy one intestinal disorder away from my ideal weight."

stormblade said...

And I only thought that happened to us guys living and working in the Philippines!! About once a month or so one of us gets visited by those same bugs - life really sucks when you are in the field and it hits!! Try hanging around when it is 90 degrees out in the toilet and you have to flush with a bucket - oh yeah baby that is the good life! :)

Anonymous said...

bringing in the Sixers is low Rik..I mean below the belt low. gino