Wednesday, July 11, 2007

An addendum to the Tapas entry...

There's one really funny thing I forgot to mention in my previous entry about our love of Tapas. The X Man has trouble pronouncing the word "tapas" - he pronounces it "tatas". He sometimes walks around the house nagging us "Daddy I want tatas!", to which I usually reply "So do I buddy, so do I...". And sometimes he'll ask where we're going and when I tell him we're going to get Tapas he responds "I don't like tatas" to which my standard reply is "You will when you get older son...".

It's almost as funny as when he was younger in Italy, he had trouble pronouncing the word "pizza". He pronouced it "Puta", which is similar to an Italian (and Spanish) slang term for...ahem...female genitalia. Every time we would go out he would tell us that he wanted puta. It was hard not to laugh but you should have seen some of the looks we got from the locals.

Puta and tatas...the X Man is truly a chip off the old block.

1 comment:

nikki said...

Tapas also sounds like "topless" Many years ago in Chicago we promised we'd take Tim's young sister to our favorite tapas bar. Her parents just smiled nervously. It wasn't until years later that she really thought for some strange reason her sister in law would take her to a topless bar...I think she was of the opinion that I grew up a little more liberal than I did. Those liberal new englanders, yeah, right!