Sunday, July 26, 2020

Reliving a Decision The Changed My Life, Part 3

(To go to Part 1, CLICK HERE)

"The Air Force is accepting prior service for OTS now..."

Wait. Run that by me again? We were in the middle of a huge joint exercise with people from all four services and there was a Captain from the Air Force that I was working with. After a few days she told me "You know, you should really go officer". I gave her my usual answer, that if the Army guaranteed me a slot in signal or transportation, I'd do it in a heartbeat. She asked if I'd considered applying for OTS (Officer Training School, the Air Force version) with the Air Force, I laughed and said that would be a dream but they don't take prior service. It was at that moment she uttered those fateful words; The Air Force is accepting prior service for OTS now...

Well this changes everything. Not only could my dream of joining the Air Force from years ago become a reality, but I could do it as an officer?! This just seemed to good to be true so I managed to run down the number for the recruiter's office at nearby Aviano Air Base, gave them a call and confirmed that, yes, as an Army NCO, I was eligible to apply for Air Force OTS. With this new information, I started working out a plan for my future. I had a little less than 2 years left on my current enlistment. The cutoff date to submit my application packet for OTS was the following January, roughly 8-9 months away. I figured that'd be plenty of time. I was wrong. So, so wrong...

Was this my destiny?

According to the recruiter (an Air Force Master Sergeant), in order to submit an OTS packet, I would first have to pass the "AFOQT" - Air Force Officer Qualifications Test (the military does love their acronyms...). It turns out that the requirements for the Air Force's officer school were a bit more stringent than the Army's. No shocker there. As it happened, they were scheduled to hold the next testing date that very week so I signed up for it and then notified my boss, 1LT Kuss the next day that I was planning on applying to OTS and that I would need a day off to take the test. Kuss said no problem, he's all for it but that he'd need to clear it with MAJ Ostlund first and then he disappeared to go talk to him. What happened next still gives me goosebumps whenever I think about it. MAJ Ostlund came charging into the office with Kuss in tow, just like the time he came to verbally undress me for the incident with USAREUR months earlier and I quickly jumped up to attention. Except this time, he didn't come in to yell at me, he came to congratulate me. He was effusive in his praise and told me "SGT Thibodeau, I am so goddamned happy right now, I think it's fantastic that you have decided to become an officer, I cannot tell you how proud I am of you right now..." I had never seen him so happy. He told me that he had worked in the past with people submitting packets for various scholarships and such and offered his help with anything that I needed. Truthfully, I was worried how all of these hard-charging infantry officers I worked with would react to me switching to the Air Force but I needn't have worried. MAJ Ostlund's reaction solidified in me once and for all that I was making the right decision. Col Carpenter had a similar reaction when he found out. His exact words were "Dammit Thibodeau, I hate to see the Army lose you but at least you're finally going to be an officer."

Not everyone took the news so well. The NCOIC of my division at the time did not like me...at all. He was an old school Airborne Infantry Master Sergeant and for reasons I understood all too well but will keep to myself, he just had it out for me. He constantly singled me out for criticism or just to screw with me and on several occasions made things personal, well beyond the typical NCOIC-soldier dynamic. So bad was his treatment of me that it had convinced me that I would never stay in the Army as an enlisted person because there was no way someone like that was going to have that much control over my life. As the NCOIC, I had no choice but to inform him that I was taking a day off in order to go to Aviano to take the AFOQT and if I passed, that I would be submitting an OTS packet with the Air Force. He reacted pretty much as I suspected he would and gave me a hard time. He had me locked up at parade rest at his desk and proceeded to scold me for "not giving me any advance notice" of my plan (whatever that meant) and just as his voice started getting raised, MAJ Ostlund suddenly appeared. He did not say a word, he just looked at the NCOIC and that, apparently, was enough. After looking at Ostlund, he looked back at me and said "Fine, take the day off. But next time you make these little life decisions of yours, make sure to let me know ahead of time so we're not scrambling at the last minute trying to cover for you. Now get out of here." Phew. 

I remembering taking the AFOQT in a room with about 20 Air Force people, all of whom looked like they were about 21 years old. The recruiter told me the test was no joke and he recommended holding off until the next test so I had time to study since only a handful who take it even score high enough to submit packets. I probably should have listened but I was too anxious, it was now or never. He wasn't kidding about it being difficult; I remember it being sort of a cross between the SATs that you take in high school and the ASVAB test that you take when you join the military. The difference here was that I had zero time to actually study for it whereas most people spend weeks, even months preparing and studying for it. I did as best as I could and then I waited. And waited. And waited. A few weeks later I received the call from the recruiter: "Well, you scored high enough to make the cut, congratulations. I'll be assisting you with putting your packet together."

The Air Force Officer Qualification Test is no joke but I'm proud to say that I passed it with zero time to study!

First there was relief. Then, elation. Then the realization that I'd only gotten past the first obstacle and that there was much more to do. Te recruiter sent me all the forms I'd need to complete and the list of documents I'd need to submit and quite honestly, it was a bit overwhelming but I dutifully got started. The first thing I would need were letters of recommendation. I could submit up to three of them and obviously, the higher ranks, the better. My plan was to gather as many letters of recommendation as I could, sort of covering all my bases, and then select the best three to submit with my packet. I was fortunate to have Col Carpenter as an ally in this endeavor; not only did he write me a strong letter of recommendation of his own but since he was the G3, he actually convinced the SETAF Commander - a Two-Star General - to write one for me as well. A letter of recommendation from a General Officer, as I found out later, was better than gold when you are submitting a packet for any military school, especially officer school. Satisfied that my letters of recommendation were good enough, I set about to complete all the other requirements. Most of them were pretty easy but the last part of the AF56 (OTS application packet) seemed to be an insurmountable obstacle, one I wasn't sure how to tackle. It stated that I must have a sit down interview with a "Senior Air Force Officer" and have him or her complete the section with an official recommendation. It might not seem that difficult but I was an E5 (sergeant) working on an overseas Army base; the only Air Force officer we had was the head of the staff weather office down the hall from me and he was but a mere Captain so he wouldn't qualify as a "Senior Air Force Officer". I became discouraged. I racked my brain trying to remember if I knew anyone in the Air Force that I could ask to conduct the interview and fill out the form but I kept coming up with nothing. Things were looking bleak for me but, once again, it was Col Carpenter to the rescue.

We were about to begin another huge joint exercise that day and so I ventured over to the coffee bar on base that everyone - Americans and Italians alike - gathered at several times a day for their caffeine fix, affectionately called the Carb Bar. Col Carpenter happened to be there as usual and upon seeing me asked me how my OTS packet was coming along. I said "It's coming along pretty well sir, I've got most of it done but I'm stuck on the last part where it says I have to have a sit down interview with a senior Air Force officer. Problem is, I don't know any Air Force officers at all so I have no clue what to do..." Carpenter replied "Why didn't you ask me Thibodeau, Erv Lessel is here as the deputy commander for the exercise, I'll hook you up with him." It turns out that Erv Lessel was Brigadier General Erwin Lessel, the 86th Wing Commander at Ramstein Air Base in Germany - as Air Force officers go, it doesn't get much more senior than that! He and Carpenter were good friends and he just happened to be on base for the big exercise. Fortune had once again smiled down upon me.

BG Erwin "Erv" Lessel

Sure enough, one day later an Air Force captain came into our building, asked if there was a SGT Thibodeau in there and then said BG Lessel would like to see you. One does not converse with a General Officer very often (if ever) so you can imagine how nervous I was. I went into his office and sat down and BG Lessel turned out to be one of the nicest people ever. He dropped the formalities and talked to me on my level for a good 10-15 minutes, asked me questions about my background, what I'd hoped to achieve, stuff like that. Finally he said "Well listen SGT Thibodeau, Pat Carpenter absolutely speaks the world of you and as far as I'm concerned, that's good enough for me...Capt. Devoe will bring you the completed form later, good luck!". Later that day Capt Devoe did indeed bring the form and my jaw dropped as I read the recommendation that BG Lessel had personally handwritten which included phrases such as "Best candidate I have ever interviewed for OTS", "Must admit immediately" and "Air Force will lose an officer of the highest potential if SGT Thibodeau is not admitted to OTS!". I could not believe what I was reading. It was unfathomable. Only a day earlier it looked as if the senior AF officer interview thing would be my undoing and now it looked like it would be the one thing that would guarantee my acceptance to OTS!

Unfortunately, as it has so many times in my career, the incompetence of the US Army would completely screw me...


(To go to Part 4, CLICK HERE)







No comments: